About Prism Engineering
Prism Engineering is a consulting firm focused on saving energy. From design to implementation, we provide energy management, electrical and mechanical engineering, utility monitoring and sustainability consulting to help our clients create a greener, more energy efficient world.
Our team members take pride in roles that they find interesting, rewarding, purposeful and impactful. We provide excellent opportunities for learning and professional development and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package that includes extended health and an incentive program that recognizes both commitment and achievement. Best of all, we offer a great work environment that is rooted in respect for people and supports a culture of care, work family, and diversity.
Hear Prism staff share what it’s like to work at Prism and what motivates us as a company to make a difference; and take a peek into our energy efficient office in Burnaby, BC, from which we work with clients across Canada in this video.
We are looking for an intermediate-level Mechanical Engineer or Designer to join our team. If you have an equivalent of 7 to 10 years of experience in building systems design, preferably in the institutional sector, and have a genuine interest in applying energy efficient and industry leading designs, we encourage you to apply and explore this career opportunity with us.
About the Role
An Intermediate Mechanical Engineer or Designer at Prism is a technical designer who performs comprehensive building system upgrades. They have general project management skills as they will be involved in all the different project stages namely, response to Requests for Proposals (RFPs), systems analyses, detailed design, procurement services, and construction oversight. They interact directly with owners and architects and work collaboratively with team members coming from various engineering disciplines and third parties to propose and deliver effective, value-adding solutions. The candidate should have capability to hold leadership roles in various capacity such as leading the project teams and service areas and working with other teams at Prism.
Following are the areas they are responsible for:
Building Systems Design
- Independently conduct conceptual designs and detailed cost estimates for building system upgrades, develop business cases and prepare client reports
- Independently carry out detailed design of building systems, applying engineering knowledge in the preparation of technical specifications and documentation and in using theories and calculations to arrive at solutions
- Prepare tender documentation for procurement of equipment and installation, in coordination with owners on requirements
- Ensure that construction and implementation are carried out within agreed project timelines, in coordination with owners and constructors.
- Independently carry out field reviews, review documents during construction and provide instructions and solutions to the problems to ensure the project is constructed per design intent and Owner’s requirements.
- Manage projects and phases. This includes resource planning, budgeting, change management, scope management, schedule and contingency planning and resolution.
- Provide guidance and supervision to more junior members of the team
Marketing and Business Development
- Prepare technical responses to Requests for Proposal (RFP’s)
- Build and maintain effective relationships with Prism’s key clients and manage key accounts
- Promote the team’s and wider Prism services (i.e. cross-services marketing) to existing and potential clients
- May lead in the development of a service area
This is a 40-hour per week salaried position, with options for flexible working. The candidate must have the ability to travel locally with occasional trips to other BC communities and provinces across Canada.
Qualifications and Experience
- The following qualifications, experience and competences are considered major assets:
- Equivalent of 7-10 years in the design of mechanical building systems, with a considerable range and exposure to various types of facilities (strong exposure to institutional-type projects preferred) and systems (HVAC, plumbing, fire suppression)
- For those in the Engineer track, eligibility for Professional Engineering (P.Eng) License registration in BC
- Skilled application of AutoCAD drafting software (Revit modelling experience also an asset)
- Project management skills and experience
- Applied knowledge of sustainability and climate change considerations in designs
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified persons coming from diverse backgrounds. Tell us how your experience translates to this position.
Sounds like a good fit?
Put your outstanding skills to use with a company that advocates work-life-balance, promotes a growth mindset and values work that creates a greener, more energy efficient world.
Please send your resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your application, please indicate your preferred work location (Burnaby or Kootenay office). We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to volume of applications we receive, we are unfortunately not able to accommodate phone calls.