About Prism Engineering
Prism Engineering is a consulting firm focused on saving energy. We work collaboratively with our clients to improve facility performance through upgrading building systems, executing energy management programs, monitoring results for continuous improvement, and engaging people.
Our team members take pride in their roles that they find interesting, rewarding, purposeful and impactful. We provide excellent opportunities for learning and support professional development. We provide a comprehensive compensation and benefits package that includes extended health and an incentive program that recognizes both commitment and achievement. Best of all, we offer a great work environment that is rooted in respect for people and supports a culture of care, work family, and diversity.
Listen to Prism staff share what it’s like to work at Prism and what motivates us as a company to make a difference. Watch our video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGB7dt9nOg) and take a peek into our energy efficient office in Burnaby, BC, from which we work with clients across Canada in.
We are looking for intermediate-level Energy Management Engineers (P.Eng’s or Engineers-in-Training) and Specialists to join our Energy Team in our Burnaby and Kootenay (Nelson, BC) offices.
You have a genuine interest in energy efficiency and sustainability. Your academic foundation may be in Energy Management, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, Systems Design or equivalent. You have built your practical foundation by working in the field of Energy Management for a few years. If this is you, we encourage you to explore this opportunity with us!
About the Role
Energy Management Engineers
They provide energy efficiency upgrade recommendations and design mechanical and control systems for various efficiency upgrades in commercial, institutional and/or industrial buildings. This includes the development and implementation of sequence of operations to achieve maximum energy efficient building operations.
Your responsibilities include:
- Conducting energy studies, carbon neutral studies and low carbon technology analyses and evaluations of energy savings in facilities
- Carrying out the review of controls sequences, reviewing and evaluating program code and identifying opportunities for control optimization for various control system manufacturers
- Providing conceptual design for mechanical efficiency upgrades and deep retrofit upgrade
- Preparing cost estimates for these proposed energy upgrades
- Designing mechanical and control systems upgrades for energy retrofits
- Preparing tender packages for procurement of equipment, installation and commissioning of upgrades and site reviews of installation
- Providing coaching and advice for Energy Managers and Strategic Energy Management Programs
- Providing analyses of utility exception reports and support to Prism’s Utility Monitoring and Analysis (PUMA) software clients
Energy Management Specialists
They assist Engineers in conducting energy audits and in the analysis and evaluation of energy savings, mainly in mechanical systems but also of electrical systems.
Your responsibilities include:
- Gathering operational and functional performance data to assess equipment operation and to identify deficiencies and opportunities for improvement
- Carrying out energy data analyses
- Providing assistance in reviewing controls sequences, reviewing and evaluating program code and identifying opportunities for control optimization for various control system manufacturers
- Assisting in the design of HVAC and controls upgrades for energy retrofits, including the preparation of preliminary and detailed cost estimates
- Providing support in the preparation of tender packages for procurement of equipment, installation and commissioning of upgrades and site reviews of installations
- Researching industry technologies and applications, as well as developing and assembling training and education materials for energy management
- Assisting in the preparation of technical reports
In these roles, you will need to interact directly with clients and work collaboratively with team members coming from various engineering disciplines and various third parties in order to deliver effective, value-adding solutions. You will utilize your general business insights as you will be involved in different stages of projects. As you gain more experience and take on more senior roles in the team, you will manage projects and accounts (ie from RFP response, to technical analysis, detailed design, procurement services, and construction oversight), provide technical guidance and coordinate activities of other professionals assigned to projects, and serve as coach and mentor to more junior members in the team.
Qualifications and Experience
The following qualifications, experience and competences are considered major assets:
Education: A relevant Diploma or Bachelor degree (e.g. Energy Management, Mechanical, Electrical, Systems Design)
Licenses and Certifications:
- Engineers: P. Eng license / eligibility for registration with EGBC
- Specialists: SEMAC, CEM, LEED, CMVP or other equivalent certifications
- Building systems design and retrofits, primarily of HVAC systems, in commercial, institutional and/or industrial buildings
- Energy management and control systems design
- Consulting experience
- Technical skills in energy management engineering, including performing energy management calculations, computer simulations, building automation and energy monitoring and tracking preferred.
- Basic knowledge of the BC Building Code, Vancouver By-Laws, Canadian Electrical Code, ASHRAE and other applicable codes and standards an asset.
- Ability to work with clients, building users, consulting engineers, project managers, contractors, and product suppliers in a professional manner
- Proficient communication (oral and written) and technical writings skills in English
- Computer application skills (ie MS Office)
This is a 40-hour per week salaried position but open to flexible working arrangements. Candidates must have the ability to travel locally with occasional trips to other BC communities and provinces across Canada.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified persons coming from diverse backgrounds. Tell us how your experience translates to this position.
Sounds like a good fit?
Put your outstanding skills to use with a company that advocates work-life-balance, promotes a growth mindset and values work that creates a greener, more energy efficient world.
Please send your resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest to email@example.com. In your application, please indicate your preferred work location (Burnaby or Kootenay office). We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to volume of applications we receive, we are unfortunately not able to accommodate phone calls.