About Prism Engineering
Prism Engineering is a consulting firm focused on saving energy. From design to implementation, we provide energy management, electrical and mechanical engineering, utility monitoring and sustainability consulting to help our clients create a greener, more energy efficient world.
Our team members take pride in roles that they find interesting, rewarding, purposeful and impactful. We provide excellent opportunities for learning and professional development and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package that includes extended health and an incentive program that recognizes both commitment and achievement. Best of all, we offer a great work environment that is rooted in respect for people and supports a culture of care, work family, and diversity.
Listen to Prism staff share what it’s like to work at Prism and what motivates us as a company to make a difference; and take a peek into our energy efficient office in Burnaby, BC, from which we work with clients across Canada in this video (https://www.prismengineering.com/work_here).
We are looking for an Electrical Engineer-in-Training or Designer to join our team of engineering consultants – the driving force behind Prism’s services.
You have either a Bachelor degree or a Diploma of Technology in Electrical Engineering or equivalent, up to 5 years of practical experience in the design of building electrical systems preferably in the commercial and institutional sectors, and solid Computer Aided Design (CAD) skills using AutoCAD. If this is you, we invite you to explore this opportunity with us!
About the Role
Our Electrical Engineers-in-Training (EIT) and Designers work under the guidance and supervision of more senior Engineers and Designers in our team in performing basic building electrical system upgrades in any one or a combination of the following areas: lighting (indoor and outdoor), power distribution, controls, fire alarms, and voice/data communication systems. You will need to interact directly with clients and work collaboratively with team members coming from various engineering disciplines and third parties in order to deliver effective, value-adding solutions. You will be in the process of acquiring general business insight as you start to get exposed to the different project stages namely, response to Requests for Proposals (RFPs), systems analyses, design, procurement services, and construction oversight.
Your responsibilities include:
- Assisting in audits and site reviews of building electrical systems
- Assisting with electrical design of power distribution, lighting (indoor and outdoor), controls, fire alarms, and voice/data communication systems primarily for building renovations but also for new construction
- Assisting in the preparation of design technical documentation using MS Office and AutoCAD applications
- Assisting in the preparation of technical content in tender packages
- Liaising with other teams in Prism, clients, building owners, architects, contractors, consultants, utilities and building authorities
Qualifications and Experience
The following qualifications, experience and competences are considered major assets:
- Bachelor degree or Diploma of Technology in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Up to 5 years of relevant experience in the field of building electrical systems design, primarily in commercial, institutional or government facilities
- Skilled use of AutoCAD (exposure to Revit an asset as well)
- Familiarity with the Canadian Electrical Code, BC Building Code, Vancouver By-Laws, and other applicable codes and standards
- Ability to work with clients, building users, consulting engineers, project managers, contractors, and product suppliers in a professional manner and in a team environment
- Effective reading and comprehension, oral and written communications in the English language
This is a 40-hour per week salaried position. The candidate must have the ability to travel locally with occasional trips to other BC communities and provinces across Canada.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified persons coming from diverse backgrounds. Tell us how your experience translates to this position.
Sounds like a good fit?
Put your outstanding skills to use with a company that advocates work-life-balance, promotes a growth mindset and values work that creates a greener, more energy efficient world.
Please send your resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your application, please indicate your preferred work location (Burnaby or Kootenay office). We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to volume of applications we receive, we are unfortunately not able to accommodate phone calls.