- What We Do
- Work Here
- About Us
- Contact Us
Helping a valued client realize their vision of raising energy awareness among commercial building operators through flexible, interactive online training
The Building Owners and Managers Association of British Columbia (BOMA BC) is the voice of the BC commercial real estate industry, with over 300 member firms representing more than $7 billion in commercial real estate in the province. BOMA BC has served the interests of BC building owners, managers, developers, facility managers, asset managers, leasing agents, brokers, and product and service providers since 1911.
"When we identified the need for this training and were looking for financial assistance from government agencies, a critical component was that we have a contractor that could deliver to us a quality product in a timely, cost-effectively manner. Prism was able to do that. At the outset of this complicated process involving two levels of government, I asked around about who really 'knows' energy, can provide the training at the level we need, understands our industry, and is passionate about energy training. Prism's name came up again and again from my contacts in both industry and government. They did exceptional work for us, resulting in a really outstanding, award-winning project."
--Paul Labranche, Executive Vice President, BOMA BC
In 2005, BC's largest commercial real estate industry association sought to realize their vision of on-line energy management training for commercial building operators. They needed to develop a flexible yet comprehensive training program, accessible from remote locations, focused on the unique skill set of building operators. Seeking a course that would allow busy professionals to better identify energy savings opportunities and implement changes, without having to invest countless study hours outside the workplace, BOMA BC turned to Prism.
Prism responded by developing the e-Energy Training course. Prism's role included:
- putting together a plan and securing funding from utilities to supplement lead funding from the BC Ministry of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources
- developing learning objectives and course content
- providing 10 staff members to act as the subject matter experts
- hiring an online production team (animation, video, learner interface)
- testing and troubleshooting the course
- tracking participant satisfaction and course material retention
- marketing the course to prospective attendees, including development of a promotional video
- providing energy management technical support for course users
The end result of Prism and BOMA BC's efforts is an award-winning interactive online course in 11 modules, available 24/7, which takes approximately 30 hours to complete. The course includes quizzes at the end of each module and a final exam to ensure effective transfer of the course material and to reinforce key learning objectives. Due to its flexible format, the course can be completed at the student's own pace; it can be spread out over several weeks or months to allow the student to apply lessons learned in the workplace. Evidence of the training's effectiveness and success includes the following:
- In the first two years, with minimal marketing support, over 100 trainees have taken the course. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, with a 94% satisfaction rate among participants
- A "before and after" survey showed that participants' competency in identifying energy savings opportunities rose 28% by taking the training, as did their competency in implementing changes to operations
- In 2007, the e-Energy Training program earned BOMA BC the Canadian Society of Association Executives' ACE Award in the New Program category
- Response to the course was so positive that BOMA BC, in conjunction with BOMA Canada, NRCan and provincial utilities, launched the e-Energy training course in 2010 with help from Prism, offering it to building operations personnel across Canada, in both French and English. Over 200 participants from coast to coast attended the course.